Saturday 31 August 2019

What makes a good bookshop?

At the moment I’m trying to decide what makes a ‘good’ bookshop. Opening hours, clear layout, and facilities are important. I’m also creating a measure for the subject range. I’m preparing a list of books to look for as a bookshop activity pack. Here is my list so far:


  1. Books by Isaac Asimov, (thank you Ed in Suffolk!)
  2. A fantasy/science fiction section
  3. A book on Existential therapy (thank you Emma in Bristol)
  4. A university-level book on abnormal psychology
  5. A book about diesel train carriages and a section on Transport (for Mark in Didcott)
  6. Val Thomas’ book, A Witch’s Kitchen, and details of her forthcoming book (Previous book sellers seemed to think Val is an American Author. This Val lives in Norwich)
  7. Anything by Angela Wigglesworth (Angela in Lewes)
  8. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (one of my favourites)
  9. M Grieve - A Modern Herbal (only about 100 years out of date)
  10. Books to help children cope with emotional issues

Any other suggestions to broaden the range would be appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. I shall add another couple of books to my list:

    11. The Care & Maintenance of a Great Dane Puppy
    12. Songbooks
    13. An encyclopaedia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you've found lots of Asimov - did you buy one?

    ReplyDelete